November 21, 2022
0:00 - limits of analysis of social media opinions
4:00 - limits of blind disinformation to affect the mind
8:54 - five new pillars of disinformation:
1) engage prefrontal cortex as little as possible
2) master platforms
3) exploit conspiracy-theory phenomena
4) target subconscious
5) target limbic system (especially outrage and trust)
September 27, 2022
Consonance: Identify stabilizing civil-society/governance networks whose goals are in consonance with those of the United States.
Resonance: Subtly/silently/invisibly/distantly enable/leverage/strengthen/amplify consonant networks.
September 25, 2022
Tools, networks, ways, and means are taught through case study summaries.
- Soviet dissidents' 'glasnost' campaigns
- Genghis Khan's 'szalámitaktika' campaigns
- Harriet Tubman's leveraging of U.S. Army
- British support of Arab revolt (WWI)
- Kaiser's support of Lenin (WWI)
September 24, 2022
1. Reflexive control: Influence an adversary to want to make decisions designed by the protagonist--without adversary being aware of manipulation.
2. Zugzwang: German. Zug: to move. Zwang: compulsion. Compel a target's countermove that will weaken the target's position (target subverts itself).
3. Telemachus: Greek. Warfare from afar--conducting influence from another country or continent.
4. Slow burn: Thousand subtle pricks. Each disparate tactic is indirect, subtle, unthreatening--unlikely raise alarms. In its totality, there are eventually strategic effects.
5. Stealth/deception: Because influence is by definition indirect and insensible, deception and stealth are often vital to successful influence.
July 17, 2022
LLOs, discussion in plenary, seminars.
July 17, 2022
LLOs, discussions in plenary, seminars.